SPOT Tracker

Sunday, June 17, 2012

June 15, 16 Friday and Saturday

I left Jasper, Banf and finally Canada.  It really felt like coming home when I crossed the border into the lower 48 again. The wait at the border was very long and got all the same questions, and again, answered the majority of them correctly.  After the official questioning, the border guard was actually very nice to talk to!

Montana is big. BBS - big beautiful state. If your child ever asks you were wind comes from, just tell them, child, wind comes from Montana.  There were 2 occasions were I was caught completely off guard and a gust of wind blew me from the middle of my lane almost all the way over into the other side of the lane next to me - that will get your attention, but quick!!  I made it into Billings and stayed at the first KOA in america. I thought it was pretty nice until I got to the KOA at the Devils Tower (the mountain in the movie close encounters of the third kind) The KOA is awesome, as well as the view.  Strongly considering staying here for an extra day, just to get some much needed sleep.

hay in Montana

Montana

near Billings Montana

Custer's 'last stand' battlefield

The battle field is littered with grave markers on the spot where soldiers fell and died. It is quite different seeing it in person then it was reading about it in school.  You can feel the despair when you are standing on the battlefield.  One of the natives on the ferry had said to me that when you read the history books, they always call the white mans victory a valiant or brave battle, and call the indian's victory a massacre.  When I walked into the visitor center, there were books all over the place with massacre in the title.

The ridge - last defense

three bikers from Maryland

These guys were going to eventually make it up to Alaska. I asked them how long they had and one guy said, matter-of-factly, until the end of summer!


Devil's Tower from the campground I am staying at

Wyoming
 Once I hit Wyoming, there was a lot of this red, including the roads.

Wyoming

Glenn

I think this was an accidental picture in Banf. 

on the sidewalk in Banf


storm

same storm

still the same storm

This was the storm that I had to call an audible on, so I never made it to Calgary. Took a hard right on exit 22.

road closures

I pulled this off a gas pump in Alaska. 

Montana

Monana

Billings Monana

aorund Billings

gas station in Sheridan Montana down the street from the Custer Battlefield

Banf

Banf

No comments:

Post a Comment