SPOT Tracker

Friday, June 1, 2012

Day One, Thursday

626.7 miles
44.6 mi/gal
61.00 mph

First day in the books!  A lot of interstate driving today with mixed results. I was able to cruise almost the entire length of Pennsylvania at about 80 mph which made up for all the rest stops I took! I ended up just over the state line in Ohio. The bike handled excellent when it was moving although when its all loaded up, it is tough handling with any grace around the parking lot.

There was a lot of highway construction going on, and more 18 wheelers than I ever hope to see again. I mean hundreds and hundreds and hundreds. Its funny (kind of) when I'm headed up a steeper type grade and there is an endless line of trucks in the right hand lane, until we hit the grade. Once they see the hill, about 20% of the trucks think they're faster than the others and pull out into the passing lane, but end up going the same speed as their buddies and just causing a gigantic road block. Once we hit the down hill, most of them pull back in line in the right hand lane and that's our chance to pass!

Although it is far from my optimum choice of travel, I think I will stick with the interstate again today to try to make decent time. I am pretty sure it will be a much lower mileage day today as I'm fiddlin with imposing a 5 pm travel curfew on myself. I ended up pulling off the road at 9 pm, and by that time it was too late to mess around with finding a campground, so ended up in a hotel.

It's 6 am of day 2 and I just peaked out the door ... raining. Hmmm .... should be an interesting day!


No comments:

Post a Comment